Old 23-03-2006, 10:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Weeding

George.com wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
m.au...

Thanks.

So if I go along and chop the weeds off,then stick 3 inches of sugar

cane

mulch over the top,would I get rid of most of the weeds?I don't mind
weeding a few but at the moment I have heaps!! -I want to get rid of

them

then mulch the garden.

"Jonno" wrote in message
.. .

loosecanon wrote:

"Greg William" wrote in message
. com.au...

I am new to all of this so excuse the dumb questions.

What is the best way to get rid of weeds.?? I read that a "Dutch

hoe"is

good

.So if I chop the head of the weed off with the hoe,does that mean

its

gone

for good or its just a temporary measure.

TIA

In some cases yes and others no. some weeds will resprout from their

roots

others give up.

3 inches or more of mulch is the answer, after hoeing.
No one solution will ever fix weeds, it takes a few strategies, after
all weeds use quite a few strategies to survive.
Theyre very devious...

Weeds like couch grass will pop up again and probably enjoy the mulch.

Onion

weed will appreciate the extra moisture and eventually claw their way
through and be bigger and better than ever. Other weeds will give up. The
seeds need the sun to germinate and they can't get that 3 inches down. I
like to put thick cardboard/newspapers down over the ground before

putting

mulch over the top.

Have fun

Richard

Yes, been there done that. Onion grass is evil. Couch is devious and
Zero is sudden death to all who would try and survive.
Though if planting vegetables there, it should not be used for safety's
sake. Its supposed to be "safe" but I would worry.
Using black plastic and "solarising" (Exposing plastic to sun) the area
will get rid of most of the weeds, especially if you can water
underneath the plastic so the heat
transfers maximum to any living/dying things. Havent tried that, and
the suggestion is to leave it a few months.
The biggest problem then is is neighbours who arent getting rid of their
weeds.

chuck the neighbours under the plastic and solarise them as well. A couple
of days and they should be prepared to sort their weeds out. If not, back
into the cooker.

rob

Ah yes the great Aussie barbie.
Motivating people are we?