Old 13-03-2003, 05:32 PM
simy1

Default Trees with DEEP roots...?

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
Trees with taproots reach farther down than any other tree. Any tree
growing on the sunny side of hills in your region will probably be a
good choice. Oaks, some hickories and especially chestnut trees are
known to be immune to drought, though I have to say that my (40-50
years old) hickories did show signs of stress last summer (my 6-years
old chestnuts, and both red oaks, one 60+ years old, the other 15years
old, did not). Keep in mind that these trees can not, typically, be
transplanted. You put them in their final place. They will also want
good drainage, so don't put them next to the willow. Chestnut are
magnificent trees, and oaks are not too shabby. Hickories are so-so.

Hmmmmm...we have a pretty heavily clay based soil back there so drainage
over much of the area is not too hot. During the spring we get a decent
amount of rain and runoff. I might keep these in mind for another spot
where I need a nice specimen tree though -- how agressive are their root
systems?

James

I would guess that the surface roots of taproot trees are no worse
than any other tree. If you have heavy clay, I would consider a
taproot tree only at locations that are slightly uphill. They would
not work in a place where water collects. You will never find a
taproot tree that works there.