Old 24-03-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Aeroponics

Some time ago someone wondered about using aeroponics to grow orchids. It
stuck in my mind as a possible way to grow vandas/ascoscendas etc. While
googling I came across this from the department of justice:
"Aeroponics is another relatively new method used to cultivate cannabis.
Cannabis plants are suspended in the air by attaching the stems to some type
of structure. Sprayers, similar to those found in the produce departments of
supermarkets, are used to spray nutrients onto the roots. Timers are used to
turn the sprayers on and off at set intervals."

In a mixed greenhouse, overspray from the vanda section ruins the cattleyas
and likewise the dryness the catts need is too dry for the vandaceous
plants. Hence aeroponics? Some sort of a structure, some sort of a tent
just around the roots, spraying to the root zone only? Perhaps the tent
could be made from clear plastic strips that grocery stores used to use
instead of doors in the refrigerated aisles? allowing some air movement...

Just thinking

K Barrett