Old 13-03-2003, 08:08 PM
JimS.

Default How To Deal With Low Budget Bare Root Roses

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:43:32 -0500 (EST), wrote:

Be sure when you buy these bagged bare root roses, that you:
1) Get ones that have big healthy looking thick green (and not
wrinkled or brown) canes.
2) Make sure they are still dormant. That is don't buy any that
have leaves growing on them or buds that are over 1/2 inch long.

edit

Editorial opinions provided by:
Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Bob,
Thanks for all this detail. I am courious about one thing- #2 above. Why
do we avoid one that's broken dormancy? I've apparently guessed this all
wrong-- I 've been looking for ones with bud eyes all over them, thinking
they must be really strong specimins to be thriving in spite of how they've
been treated. So I have been looking for packs that are "rarin' to go".
What's wrong about that assumption?

thanks

JimS.
Seattle