Old 26-03-2006, 06:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Default Freeze warning tonight

I always go ahead and plant a few tomatoes mid March. I always hold back the
other plants I am bringing along so in case I get wiped out, it will not be
the end of the world. I also use wall-of-waters for some of my plants...they
work great. For the remainder I cover with old sheets and put a shop light
under the sheets for extra warmth. I live in a low area in Round Rock and it
got down to 28-29 degrees in my back yard and I lost no plants, just a few
scorched spots on leaves next to the sheets. I'll probably pick my fist
tomato late April first week in May.

Have Fun

JEM

"Jonny" wrote in message
link.net...
"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

Okra and green beans partially destroyed. Some survived. Planted just
west of some juniper trees. Temps just before the sun came over the trees
is what did it. No direct sun radiation in the early sunrise hours.

A 100 ft further west is another garden plot. Very little morning shade
from trees. Lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes did not suffer here.

All are seedlings 3 weeks young. Live just west of Wimberley area.
--
Jonny