Old 23-03-2006, 10:58 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Default Freeze warning tonight

Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(
Old 23-03-2006, 11:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
pistor

jOhN wrote:
My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

All our amaryllis have buds up and I planted my tomatoes last
weekend... :-/

Stupid late frost.

Victor, posting from google

Old 25-03-2006, 12:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

Okra and green beans partially destroyed. Some survived. Planted just west
of some juniper trees. Temps just before the sun came over the trees is
what did it. No direct sun radiation in the early sunrise hours.

A 100 ft further west is another garden plot. Very little morning shade
from trees. Lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes did not suffer here.

All are seedlings 3 weeks young. Live just west of Wimberley area.
--
Jonny

Old 25-03-2006, 03:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .net,
"Jonny" wrote:

"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

Okra and green beans partially destroyed. Some survived. Planted just west
of some juniper trees. Temps just before the sun came over the trees is
what did it. No direct sun radiation in the early sunrise hours.

A 100 ft further west is another garden plot. Very little morning shade
from trees. Lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes did not suffer here.

All are seedlings 3 weeks young. Live just west of Wimberley area.

Doof.

No plants outdoors until the first of April!
There is nearly always a freeze in March!

I'll start planting the first part of next month.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 26-03-2006, 01:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Jonny" wrote:

"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

Okra and green beans partially destroyed. Some survived. Planted just
west
of some juniper trees. Temps just before the sun came over the trees is
what did it. No direct sun radiation in the early sunrise hours.

A 100 ft further west is another garden plot. Very little morning shade
from trees. Lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes did not suffer here.

All are seedlings 3 weeks young. Live just west of Wimberley area.

Doof.

No plants outdoors until the first of April!
There is nearly always a freeze in March!

I'll start planting the first part of next month.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
Nicholson

Sounds like a "told you so", though you never did. Local meteorologists and
TV weather guys beg to differ with your freeze possibility assessment.
--
Jonny

Old 26-03-2006, 06:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

I always go ahead and plant a few tomatoes mid March. I always hold back the
other plants I am bringing along so in case I get wiped out, it will not be
the end of the world. I also use wall-of-waters for some of my plants...they
work great. For the remainder I cover with old sheets and put a shop light
under the sheets for extra warmth. I live in a low area in Round Rock and it
got down to 28-29 degrees in my back yard and I lost no plants, just a few
scorched spots on leaves next to the sheets. I'll probably pick my fist
tomato late April first week in May.

Have Fun

JEM

"Jonny" wrote in message
link.net...
. com...

Old 26-03-2006, 06:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .net,
"Jonny" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Jonny" wrote:

"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
Put up the swimming pool floats and get out the thermal underwear.

My pear tree just finished blooming :-(

Okra and green beans partially destroyed. Some survived. Planted just
west
of some juniper trees. Temps just before the sun came over the trees is
what did it. No direct sun radiation in the early sunrise hours.

A 100 ft further west is another garden plot. Very little morning shade
from trees. Lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes did not suffer here.

All are seedlings 3 weeks young. Live just west of Wimberley area.

Doof.

No plants outdoors until the first of April!
There is nearly always a freeze in March!

I'll start planting the first part of next month.

Sounds like a "told you so", though you never did. Local meteorologists and
TV weather guys beg to differ with your freeze possibility assessment.

No, it's not an "I told you so", it's annual weather wisdom I learnt
from my parents. :-) 'specially mom who regularly used "the farmers
almanac" for planting schedules.

Also personal observation from year to year... It does not always
happen, but mid to late March freezes/frosts are not all that uncommon.
I've lived in the Austin area now for 23 years.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 29-03-2006, 04:53 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Jonny" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Jonny" wrote:

"jOhN" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Grandkids were over the house yesterday. They planted some okra and green
beans to replace those lost, under my supervison of course.

All my sunflower seedling survived. However, some that didn't quite make it
was due to the soil prior to the frost. Hard clay and fine gravel. The end
where the beginning leaves are actually ripped out/off as they sprouted.
Kept it moist. Planted 2 feet adjacent to driveway edge some 50 or more
feet from garden.
Replaced those with new planting as well. Using these to attract
pollenaters. There are some kind of bees that are highly attracted to
bright colors including my clothing, and open soda cans out here last
spring/early summer. They don't sting to date.
--
Jonny