Old 27-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

Default Ligustrum

Treedweller wrote in
news
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:41:36 +0000, Aly
wrote:

Yaderp Wrote:
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with
this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern
U.S.
(Tennessee)?

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have
to be
taught once.

Everone is being so negative about privet. Like any plant, it can be
beautiful in the right situation.
I have replaced a wooden trellis that separated my garden with privet.
Rather than pruning, I carve the hedge with an electric trimmer and
make curves. It really is like carving wood with a chainsaw but without
the effort. It is ideal for topiary, so i will be creating some
interesting shapes/animals as well.

Looks better and more natural than a fence or trellis any day!

nobody said it couldn't be attractive. The problem is that it is a
noxious, invasive weed. It prolifically reproduces (spread long
distances by birds) and eventually alters ecosystems, leading to
reduction in native flora. Please do not plant any more ligustrum and
consider replacing those you have with more benign substitutes.

Such as . . . .?