Old 27-03-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recommendations on living fence around 1+ acre yard

I have a flat clear backyard that I'm wanting to enclose. It's about
125 feet wide and 300 feet long. I looked into putting up wooden
privacy fence, but the cost was around $12000. I just finished
planting a row of giant cedars at the very back, which will eventually
block off a side road that goes back there. I don't know what to plant
down the sides. I'm thinking something that can make a formal hedge
would look nice, then I could plant some specimen trees inside that. I
want something that can be trimmed or stops growing at about the 4-6
foot range. I'm in zone 6. I wouldn't mind trimming them up a couple
of times a year, but weekly isn't an option on something that large.
Arborvitae seems out of the question, we had 14 deer in the yard at the
same time a couple of nights ago. Privet looks nice, but researching
that makes me think it's a maintenance nightmare. Canadian Hemlock is
ok. Suggestions are welcome.