Old 27-03-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recommendations on living fence around 1+ acre yard

I have a flat clear backyard that I'm wanting to enclose. It's about
125 feet wide and 300 feet long. I looked into putting up wooden
privacy fence, but the cost was around $12000. I just finished
planting a row of giant cedars at the very back, which will eventually
block off a side road that goes back there. I don't know what to plant
down the sides. I'm thinking something that can make a formal hedge
would look nice, then I could plant some specimen trees inside that. I
want something that can be trimmed or stops growing at about the 4-6
foot range. I'm in zone 6. I wouldn't mind trimming them up a couple
of times a year, but weekly isn't an option on something that large.
Arborvitae seems out of the question, we had 14 deer in the yard at the
same time a couple of nights ago. Privet looks nice, but researching
that makes me think it's a maintenance nightmare. Canadian Hemlock is
ok. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 27-03-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Heavy snow can be hard on Japanese Holly. It has berries birds like and
pruning not too demanding.

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at
Old 27-03-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

The sky pencil Japanese Holly? Those don't look too bad. I was
searching around for pictures of them and found a place in my hometown
that sells them bare root for $3 each. I'd be looking at around $1000
to do the 600 feet with them. Not cheap, but not too bad. The last
several years have had mild winters here, but once in a while we'll get
6-12 inches of snow that hangs around for a week or two. Nothing major.

Old 28-03-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
James

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't recommend a privet hedge. They are nice but require a lot of
trimming to keep it full. If you don't, they get leggy. I wish I had planted
some sort of evergreen that quit at a certain height and I have about 300
feet of the stuff. I've never bited the bullet to change that.

Old 28-03-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a flat clear backyard that I'm wanting to enclose. It's about
125 feet wide and 300 feet long. I looked into putting up wooden
privacy fence, but the cost was around $12000.

...snip...

Privet looks nice, but researching
that makes me think it's a maintenance nightmare. Canadian Hemlock is
ok. Suggestions are welcome.

Privet is a declared weed around here, it makes 1000s of berries in autumn
which fall on the ground and are also carried by birds and by water. If the
environment is suitable for privet you will soon have an ocean of privet
seedlings and so will your neighbours. The tree is really tough, the
seedlings are really tough and did I mention that you will soon have them
everywhere...

David

Old 29-03-2006, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

You could consider a mixed hedge of bush fruits and nuts. Things like bush
cherries, sand cherries or plums, filberts, cornelian cherry, bramble fruits
like raspberries, blueberries, etc. Most are not evergreen, but will still
make a pretty impenetrable hedge over time and the bonus will be lots of
edibles for you, and attracting lots of birds to your yard, if you like
watching them. If you must have evergreens, you could consider some form of
boxwood if that is an appropriate plant for your zone, although it is slow
growing, a low growing laurel, like shipka laurel, or certain kinds of
viburnums if in a warmer zone. If you live in the northwest, either inland
or on the coast, oregon grape can make a fine impenetrable evergreen native
plant hedge, and responds well to clipping.
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
news

oups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Musser Forest http://www.musserforests.com/ is good for quantity at very reasonable
prices. they got a list "plant by use". I have been quite happy with them. Ingrid

"presley" wrote:

You could consider a mixed hedge of bush fruits and nuts. Things like bush
cherries, sand cherries or plums, filberts, cornelian cherry, bramble fruits
like raspberries, blueberries, etc. Most are not evergreen, but will still
make a pretty impenetrable hedge over time and the bonus will be lots of
edibles for you, and attracting lots of birds to your yard, if you like
watching them. If you must have evergreens, you could consider some form of
boxwood if that is an appropriate plant for your zone, although it is slow
growing, a low growing laurel, like shipka laurel, or certain kinds of
viburnums if in a warmer zone. If you live in the northwest, either inland
or on the coast, oregon grape can make a fine impenetrable evergreen native
plant hedge, and responds well to clipping.
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a flat clear backyard that I'm wanting to enclose. It's about
125 feet wide and 300 feet long. I looked into putting up wooden
privacy fence, but the cost was around $12000.

...snip...

Privet looks nice, but researching
that makes me think it's a maintenance nightmare. Canadian Hemlock is
ok. Suggestions are welcome.

Privet is a declared weed around here, it makes 1000s of berries in autumn
which fall on the ground and are also carried by birds and by water. If
the
environment is suitable for privet you will soon have an ocean of privet
seedlings and so will your neighbours. The tree is really tough, the
seedlings are really tough and did I mention that you will soon have them
everywhere...

David

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-03-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nice site, I hadn't run across that one in my searches so far. Thanks.