Old 27-03-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Dumb Frost Question

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "louisxiv" contains these words:

Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?
xiv

It varies considerably according to area and microclimate. Gardeners
often keep a diary note of the last spring frost (and first autumn one)
so that over a few years you build up a record for that location. . So,
if some of your neighbours are keen gardeners, they will be able to tell
you what to expect.

snip

The last village I lived in varied wildly within half a mile. I would
get some frost, ice on the road etc. but at the other end of the
village it would be ice bound for days on end. One determined soul
grew Brugmansias outdoors in pots but they were all nicely fleeced up
by the end of October!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk