Old 27-03-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Dumb Frost Question

Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?
xiv

Old 27-03-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Marty wrote
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?

Old gardeners used to say it's OK after the Chelsea Flower Show (end of May)
and for me that usually works fine but a few years ago we got a Grass Frost
on our exposed allotment on the 9th June which didn't do my tender plants
much good. No sign of that frost at home in a built up area, so it depends
where you're gardening.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-03-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?
xiv

Here in Holland they say after "Ijsheiligen" which falls on 11,12,13,14 May

UK weather gives a forecast at:
http://uk.weather.com/maps/lifestyle...dex_large.html

If in doubt plant stuff out and keep some fleece or newspapers handy in case you
need to cover tender stuff up.

Jenny

Old 27-03-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "louisxiv" contains these words:

Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?
xiv

It varies considerably according to area and microclimate. Gardeners
often keep a diary note of the last spring frost (and first autumn one)
so that over a few years you build up a record for that location. . So,
if some of your neighbours are keen gardeners, they will be able to tell
you what to expect.

snip

The last village I lived in varied wildly within half a mile. I would
get some frost, ice on the road etc. but at the other end of the
village it would be ice bound for days on end. One determined soul
grew Brugmansias outdoors in pots but they were all nicely fleeced up
by the end of October!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-03-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv writes
Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?

Experience.

I make a note each year of the early and late frosts, and over the years
this has shown me that I cannot be sure of being frost free until the
second week of June, and the first frost in autumn will probably be in
October.

There's no real substitute. Temperatures vary not just with whereabouts
in the country you are (in summer the south is warmer than the north; in
winter the west is warmer than the east), but also altitude and the
layout of the surrounding land - cold air sinks, so you may have frost
in the valley but none if you are part way up the hillside.
--
Kay

Old 27-03-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:50:15 +0200
"JennyC" wrote:

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi
Probably a silly question but how do you guys decide when it's safe to
assume there'll be no more frost?
xiv

Here in Holland they say after "Ijsheiligen" which falls on 11,12,13,14 May

In Normandy it's les Saintes Glace; 12, 13, 14 May. I've not seen a
frost after them in 16 years, and in fact I usually get the pelargoniums
etc out of the tunnel (well, the neighbor's tunnel!) around the 1st.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Dumb water oxygen question jammer Ponds 11 24-06-2003 04:44 PM
Dumb question about Amano shrimp E. Mito Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 30-05-2003 02:20 AM
Possibly dumb tomato and pepper question Mark Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 02:20 PM
Dumb Question... Natty_Dread Gardening 4 06-03-2003 07:27 PM
Dumb Question... (in this newsgroup? What are the odds?) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 06-03-2003 05:27 PM