Old 28-03-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default Recommendations on living fence around 1+ acre yard

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a flat clear backyard that I'm wanting to enclose. It's about
125 feet wide and 300 feet long. I looked into putting up wooden
privacy fence, but the cost was around $12000.

...snip...

Privet looks nice, but researching
that makes me think it's a maintenance nightmare. Canadian Hemlock is
ok. Suggestions are welcome.

Privet is a declared weed around here, it makes 1000s of berries in autumn
which fall on the ground and are also carried by birds and by water. If the
environment is suitable for privet you will soon have an ocean of privet
seedlings and so will your neighbours. The tree is really tough, the
seedlings are really tough and did I mention that you will soon have them
everywhere...

David