Old 29-03-2006, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
Srgnt Billko

Default Toro vs. John Deere mower

"Javier" wrote in message
I'm looking at two models of riding mowers, the Toro LX420 and the JD 125.

Both have the same deck size (42") and similar engine power (18HP, the
Toro has a Kohler engine, the JD a Briggs & Stratton). Both have an
automatic transmission, manual PTO, etc. Pretty comparable machines,
except the JD is $1799 and the Toro is $1299.

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro? I sat on both at the
dealer, they feel equally comfortable. Looking at construction, I can't
really see many differences in material quality (though maybe I don't know
where to look... I was looking at things like thickness of the steel deck
for example).
Thanks.
-jav

First beware that neither of these machines are the type of models that gave
JD & Toro / Wheelhorse their good reputations. These are cost reduced
models. From their websites I see the JD has a *twin* cyl motor - that
would account for some of the dollar difference - and actually one place
listed it as 20hp rather than 18. This is a little overkill for a machine
that is pretty much limited to mowing (no ground engaging attachments.)
The Toro lists a pressure lube feature that is better on hilly terrain. I
see big discounts on leftover 2005 JD's. I would lean toward the Toro
because their site was easier / quicker to navigate - but neither site
listed the weight of the machines and buying buy the pound is not the worst
way to decide.