Old 30-03-2006, 03:52 PM
sockiescat sockiescat is offline
Registered User

Smile

Penelope Periwinkle On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:36:19 -0800, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:

Almost all the seedlings are broken just above the soil line. Out of
twenty four early tomatoes, I know have six, and one of those might
not make it. I buried the damaged part of the stem, but it was droopy
this morning.

So sorry, Penelope. :-(

Yeah, the perils of gardening.

If it were me, I'd still keep all of them potted (at their previous soil
line); their root systems are still there and would have more strength
than new seedlings. You may just have most of them recover and be up to
what they would have been, only six or so weeks later.

Therein lies the problem. I know most of them will come back, but
they were my early tomatoes. One, Sophie's Choice won't even make
it once the summer heat hits. I planted these two varieties
(Sophie's Choice and Stupice) because they tolerate colder
weather better than a lot of tomatoes. They're my first wave,
and, with a little luck, I would have had a large crop of vine
ripened tomatoes in May instead of late June.

I've got a few more Stupice in my second wave of tomatoes, I
always plant plenty of Stupice because it's very reliable all
season; but this was the first year for the SC tomatoes. Only two
of them survived.

So, I agree with you, but it ain't gonna get me bragging rights
for the first ripe tomato.

Penelope

- "pointed"

sorry to hear about your tomatoes penelope. its so hard sometimes to try and get things to go the way u want them thats for sure. i hope that they all come back for u again. good luck, sockiescat.