Old 30-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Seeds

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:31:34 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Jangchub typed:
The sweet peas, nasturtium, and alyssum are cool weather plants and
you'd be better off waiting till the fall to use those. I have a
feeling we're going to just come into blazing hot summer, as this
year the entire winter was a very warm version of spring.

Bird of Paradise seeds need to be scarified and can take years to
germinate, then from 7 to 15 years to flower! Have fun!

Yeahhh thanks, I'll probably wait on those. Unless I can find a cooler
place for the sweetpeas. But they need sun, don't they? Maybe I'll plant
some in a pot.....I didn't get the Bird of Paradise seeds, I already have
plants. Just thought they were cute with their orange fuzzy hats.

Sweet peas need cool soil and cool night air in order to be healthy.
They do like sun, but I find in Texas they are happy with afternoon
shade. I plant my seeds in January.

I also have BOP plants for well over ten years! I douse them with
fertilizer and they've never flowered. Do you have any tips?