Old 28-03-2006, 08:29 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default Seeds

Seeds! I got some cool seeds at Walmart. Lemon basil, lettuce-leaf basil.
Morning glory Star of Yelta, moonflower. Rosie O'Day alyssum. Cleome Rose
Queen, nasturtium Cherry Rose. Columbine Dragonfly hybrids. Sweet pea,
Eckford's Finest Mix. I yam so happy!

Oh and they have new cacti and succulents (at least since I've been there.)
And a new line of Hawaiian seeds and plants, including orchids in bags.
Nice-looking plants, though they're drying out. Bird of Paradise seeds,
they are so cute, they have little fuzzy orange tops.

And they have some glazed terracotta pots that are neat--the tops are
regular terracotta, and the bottoms are glazed in different colors.

Can you tell I haven't been out and about much lately.....getting thrilled
about Walmart??

Cindy

Old 28-03-2006, 03:16 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Yes, and Dollar General is selling seed packets at 4 for dollar. Includes
typical garden vegtables, and various decorative flower varieties.
The only thing that hasn't germinated and sprung up were the watermelons for
me. Others I've tried and succeeded were okra, green beans, and sunflower
(bee attraction). Sunflowers, was surprised at success. Planted in hill
country with lots of hard native clay and gravel at surface. Just kept it
moist.
--
Jonny
. com...

Old 28-03-2006, 04:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jonny typed:
Yes, and Dollar General is selling seed packets at 4 for dollar. Includes
typical garden vegtables, and various decorative flower
varieties.

Well, most of Walmart's are 97 cents a pack or more, but they also have 10
cent and 25 cent packets, which I thought was nice. Not of everything, but
American Seed has the smaller packs.

Old 29-03-2006, 04:27 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...
Jonny typed:
Yes, and Dollar General is selling seed packets at 4 for dollar. Includes
typical garden vegtables, and various decorative flower
varieties.

Well, most of Walmart's are 97 cents a pack or more, but they also have 10
cent and 25 cent packets, which I thought was nice. Not of everything,
but American Seed has the smaller packs.

Long drive from Wimberley to Austin for a few packets of seed. Dollar
General is across the street from the high school. Live west of Wimberley.
Sounds like a good deal though. Maybe some Austin locals are reading and
will heed your advice. Thanks, Cindy.
--
Jonny

Old 29-03-2006, 04:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jonny typed:
"Cindy" wrote in message
. com...
Jonny typed:
Yes, and Dollar General is selling seed packets at 4 for dollar.
Includes typical garden vegtables, and various decorative flower
varieties.

Well, most of Walmart's are 97 cents a pack or more, but they also
have 10 cent and 25 cent packets, which I thought was nice. Not
of everything, but American Seed has the smaller packs.

Long drive from Wimberley to Austin for a few packets of seed. Dollar
General is across the street from the high school. Live
west of Wimberley. Sounds like a good deal though. Maybe some
Austin locals are reading and will heed your advice. Thanks, Cindy.

Ah, but there's always that next time you happen to be there....
You're welcome. (By the way, I'm near Houston.)

Cindy

Old 30-03-2006, 12:42 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

The sweet peas, nasturtium, and alyssum are cool weather plants and
you'd be better off waiting till the fall to use those. I have a
feeling we're going to just come into blazing hot summer, as this year
the entire winter was a very warm version of spring.

Bird of Paradise seeds need to be scarified and can take years to
germinate, then from 7 to 15 years to flower! Have fun!

Old 30-03-2006, 06:31 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
The sweet peas, nasturtium, and alyssum are cool weather plants and
you'd be better off waiting till the fall to use those. I have a
feeling we're going to just come into blazing hot summer, as this
year the entire winter was a very warm version of spring.

Bird of Paradise seeds need to be scarified and can take years to
germinate, then from 7 to 15 years to flower! Have fun!

Yeahhh thanks, I'll probably wait on those. Unless I can find a cooler
place for the sweetpeas. But they need sun, don't they? Maybe I'll plant
some in a pot.....I didn't get the Bird of Paradise seeds, I already have
plants. Just thought they were cute with their orange fuzzy hats.

Old 30-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:31:34 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Jangchub typed:
The sweet peas, nasturtium, and alyssum are cool weather plants and
you'd be better off waiting till the fall to use those. I have a
feeling we're going to just come into blazing hot summer, as this
year the entire winter was a very warm version of spring.

Bird of Paradise seeds need to be scarified and can take years to
germinate, then from 7 to 15 years to flower! Have fun!

Yeahhh thanks, I'll probably wait on those. Unless I can find a cooler
place for the sweetpeas. But they need sun, don't they? Maybe I'll plant
some in a pot.....I didn't get the Bird of Paradise seeds, I already have
plants. Just thought they were cute with their orange fuzzy hats.

Sweet peas need cool soil and cool night air in order to be healthy.
They do like sun, but I find in Texas they are happy with afternoon
shade. I plant my seeds in January.

I also have BOP plants for well over ten years! I douse them with
fertilizer and they've never flowered. Do you have any tips?
Old 30-03-2006, 05:17 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Sweet peas need cool soil and cool night air in order to be healthy.
They do like sun, but I find in Texas they are happy with afternoon
shade. I plant my seeds in January.

I also have BOP plants for well over ten years! I douse them with
fertilizer and they've never flowered. Do you have any tips?

No, sorry, I don't. Mine aren't old enough to bloom yet. I did see a
potful blooming madly at the nursery where I got mine, though. I've never
seen so many blooms at once on a BOP! The plant had been abandoned in a
mostly sun/partly dappled shade area, grown through, over and out of the pot
into the ground. The plastic pot was still surrounding it, but was cracking
from root pressure. I don't know how long it was there.

Old 30-03-2006, 05:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Sweet peas need cool soil and cool night air in order to be healthy.
They do like sun, but I find in Texas they are happy with afternoon
shade. I plant my seeds in January.

I also have BOP plants for well over ten years! I douse them with
fertilizer and they've never flowered. Do you have any tips?

I forgot to ask, are yours in pots or in the ground? I think they like big
pots, but like to be rootbound.

Old 31-03-2006, 03:58 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:18:47 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Sweet peas need cool soil and cool night air in order to be healthy.
They do like sun, but I find in Texas they are happy with afternoon
shade. I plant my seeds in January.

I also have BOP plants for well over ten years! I douse them with
fertilizer and they've never flowered. Do you have any tips?

I forgot to ask, are yours in pots or in the ground? I think they like big
pots, but like to be rootbound.

Mine are very rootbound in containers. The roots are probably going
to chop right through the clay pots this summer, so I am going to buy
containers only an inch larger and repot them in plastic.