Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

Default VHO vs. Standard Fluorescent

On 4 Apr 2006 10:09:53 -0700, "IDzine01"
wrote:

John, I seriously need help.

They sell plant bulbs to fit my 30 gal so you can grow pretty plants
but they are only 20 watts which equates to about .6 watts / gal but 3
watts per gallon is supposed to be good light for most plants. Why do
they even make the lamps if they aren't bright enough? So I look for
higher wattage but it doesn't exist for my hood. Next I find VHO bulbs
at 75 watts (sounds good don't it?) only it's just the bulbs and there
aren't any hoods to plug the buggers into.

Am I going to have to spend hours on the internet learning how to be an
electrician in order to create some contraption to light my plants?

Let me start fresh.. I have a 30 gallon tank with a hood. I want to be
a better aqua-gardener but I don't know anything. (well, I know fish, I
just don't know plants other then the low light plants I have been
keeping for a few years)

I know nothing about electricity, or wattage, or amps or any of the
stuff in that class I hated in college and had to take twice to finally
pass with a "C". I don't know what a "complete reflector fixture" is
or a "rapid start hood" and I'm certain that replacing my ballasts
(which I will have to Google) will lead to something melting at best or
someone electrocuted at worst. Until yesterday, I had never heard the
acronym VHO.

Ok, now you know where I'm coming from. Should I assume this is
considerably more complicated then buying a light bulb? If I DO need to
buy something else will it be some odd contraption more suitable for a
fish room then a living room? Is the ugly truth that I'm stuck with
java ferns and crypts because that's all I'm ever going to be able to
grow?

Thanks for all your help... and patience.

Look into the compact fluorescent refit kits sold by

www.ahsupply.com.

I've used their stuff several times, it has always worked.