Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default lifting and storing bulbs

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Just to add to Tumbleweeds post
I am interested to know what bulbs you are able to lift and store
once they have finished flowering

Yes you can lift bulbs and store dry except for bluebells and
snowdrops which are either moved in the green or damp packed - where
the bulbs are lifted and wrapped in damp paper and replanted asap.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

As Tumbleweed says, don't do it at all if you don't have to: for me, at
any rate, the delight of bulbs is the way they give me faith in the
planet by coming up in their own time -- they do the work. Other bulbs
you really mustn't disturb, in Britain at any rate, include
amaryllis=hippeastrum (if they survive at all in your area), lilies, and
nerines. Gladioli and non-species tulips need the annual lifting
treatment if they are to survive: personally, I can't be aced with such
plants! It'd be worth having a good read of a reasonably comprehensive
gardening book, or check your particular ones by name on the Internet.

--
Mike.