Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default lifting and storing bulbs

I am interested to know what bulbs you are able to lift and store once
they have finished flowering ?

also how do you do this ?

Do you wait until the foliage dies back , lift them up and clean off
the dirt and then wrap in newpaper ?

Also do you need to use any sort of fungiside to prevent rotting (bare
in mind I'd rather be organic!)

Old 05-04-2006, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am interested to know what bulbs you are able to lift and store once
they have finished flowering ?

First check you need to do it, dont do it just for the sake of it. For
example, if you are likely to disturb them by accidentally digging them up
when planting something else. But if they are in a lawn or under trees, just
leave them alone, and dont cut the foliage for at least 6 weeks after
flowing (see below)

also how do you do this ?

You need to wait _at least_ 6 weeks after flowering, and longer is better.

Do you wait until the foliage dies back , lift them up and clean off
the dirt and then wrap in newpaper ?

Thats all I've ever done, that or bury them in dry peat in pots.

Also do you need to use any sort of fungiside to prevent rotting (bare
in mind I'd rather be organic!)

No, just keep somewhere dark, dryish,and not too hot in the summer

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Just to add to Tumbleweeds post
I am interested to know what bulbs you are able to lift and store
once they have finished flowering

Yes you can lift bulbs and store dry except for bluebells and
snowdrops which are either moved in the green or damp packed - where
the bulbs are lifted and wrapped in damp paper and replanted asap.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

As Tumbleweed says, don't do it at all if you don't have to: for me, at
any rate, the delight of bulbs is the way they give me faith in the
planet by coming up in their own time -- they do the work. Other bulbs
you really mustn't disturb, in Britain at any rate, include
amaryllis=hippeastrum (if they survive at all in your area), lilies, and
nerines. Gladioli and non-species tulips need the annual lifting
treatment if they are to survive: personally, I can't be aced with such
plants! It'd be worth having a good read of a reasonably comprehensive
gardening book, or check your particular ones by name on the Internet.

--
Mike.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Registered User

I use yellow sulphur, which you can get from garden centres/seed catalogues. If you live somewhere fairly damp (ie Scotland, like me) it doesn't hurt to dust them with a bit of this because once the mould moves in, it's game's a bogey for bulbs.

bob