Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Seen a plant, dont know what it is, any ideas??

K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Zarch writes

On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry
stone wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with
wonderful purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)

I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.

It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.

I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure
what it is.

Any ideas anyone?

At this time of year, usually Aubretia

My first thought was Cymbalaria muralis, FWIW.

Ivy-leaved toadflax? That was my second thought, especially with the
'growing thru cracks', but it never looks quite as showy as Aubretia.
Nicer up close, though. An underrated plant, though i think there is a
slightly bigger garden variety.

I'll bet heavily on aubrieta, though -- remember Zarch saw it only from
a distance, and I wonder if it's rather early for
cymbalaria/linaria/toadflax. Some fabulous cascades of it driving into
Bath yesterday for one my daughter's hospital appointments. Hardly any
foliage visible at all, though.

--
Mike.