Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mister Gardener

Default VHO vs. Standard Fluorescent

On 6 Apr 2006 05:52:52 -0700, "IDzine01"
wrote:

Thanks all!
I'm thinking that 175 w metal halide (AKA The Sun) may be a bit much in
the living room of my rented apartment. ;-) I think I will look more
into Mr..Gardener's recommendation of a piece of glass and a compact
fluorescent strip light. That seems easy and effective. Bill's link
seems like a particularly good off the shelf fit too and I like the
style it comes in.

You guys really came up with many more ideas then I could have hoped
for. Thanks so much.

Hinged glass covers are sold at most online pet retailers, I have
never looked in stores, so I don't know. At some online sites you can
even buy the hinge separately. I've done that. They are a couple of
inches shorter than the glass and can easily be cut shorter with
scissors. I've had to trim a couple of the ready made glass covers
because they were a quarter inch too long, my friend at the hardware
store does this for me - so in light of my experience, you may do just
as well getting the glass or Lucite cut for you locally.

-- Mister Gardener