Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

Default which tomato does best in a rainy area

"GH" writes:
We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38=B0C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

My not so expert opinion is that the small cherry types of tomatoes
are well suited to such adverse conditions. They grow quickly, bear
early in their development, and the tiny fruit reaches ripeness within
weeks -- all this happening before fungal diseases can get a
stranglehold.

If you can plant them out as advanced seedlings, they will be off to a
good start. Some nurseries sell grafted seedlings on the point of
flowering. Try a few different ones and see how things pan out. Keep
your fingers crossed regarding pollination in wet weather; you are
reliant upon local bees for this.