Old 25-03-2006, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

Default which tomato does best in a rainy area

We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38°C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

Old 25-03-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kurtk

"GH" wrote in message
ups.com...
We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38°C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

It sounds as if you are describing Houston. I planted my main garden
tomatoes on 2/27, hoping like heck that a late season freeze did not set
them back. I have been lucky so far!

Dona is a great variety here. I have also had good luck with Juliet
cherry/plumb. I get them at the Master Gardener plant sale, so they might
not be available in your area.

Old 25-03-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On 25 Mar 2006 00:51:49 -0800, "GH" wrote:

We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38°C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

It looks like you are in France. I would suggest that you look at the
seeds and plants for sale in your area. Also talk to the people at
the plant nurseries and neighbors who are growing tomatoes.
--
Susan N.

Old 25-03-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

GH wrote:
We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?

I doubt that you will need to protect the foliage from the rain, but it
will be very important to have good soil drainage. The plants don't
want constantly soggy roots. -aem

Old 25-03-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On 25 Mar 2006 00:51:49 -0800, "GH"
wrote:

We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38°C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

Sounds like similar conditions to most of the southeastern US,
and I could name some tomatoes that do well under those
conditions; but it won't do you much good if you can't get them
in France.

Susan's (The Cook) suggestion is a good one. Talk to the people
who garden near you, or to the folks at the plant nurseries. If
you're interested in something more exotic or heirloom stock, try
googling on a phrase like "heirloom tomatoes for Southern France"
or "heat and split resistance tomatoes for SF" or what ever is
most appropriate.

Penelope

- "pointed"

Old 26-03-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

Thank you for your suggestions. I don't know of any horticultural
society or gardner's club in the area and, based on your
recommendations, I wanted to order seeds from UK or USA.
Does anyone know a seed exchange forum? That could be an easier/faster
way.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

"GH" writes:
We live in a valley and the weather is relatively wet (it rains every
2-3 days) all year long. Should I protect the tomatoes from the rain?
The temperature goes up a lot 35-38=B0C in the summer but air humidity
is high.

Which tomato does/would do best in a wet climate?

My not so expert opinion is that the small cherry types of tomatoes
are well suited to such adverse conditions. They grow quickly, bear
early in their development, and the tiny fruit reaches ripeness within
weeks -- all this happening before fungal diseases can get a
stranglehold.

If you can plant them out as advanced seedlings, they will be off to a
good start. Some nurseries sell grafted seedlings on the point of
flowering. Try a few different ones and see how things pan out. Keep
your fingers crossed regarding pollination in wet weather; you are
reliant upon local bees for this.

Old 15-04-2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Awen

I live in New Zealand, plants here are most likely to fail because of
too much water.

I have found that 'Roma' did great in a sunny well drained spot (with
poor soil too!).

I have also found that growing tomatoes in sealed terracotta pots is a
good solution, and can be quite decorative -underplant with French
marigold to keep the bugs away, or basil.

The pots give much better drainage, though you will need to be vigilant
with watering and if the pot isn't sealed the drainage will be too good
and soak water away from the pot. The terracotta also releases heat
from the day once the air has cooled, providing a more even (and warmer
if it's sunny) root temperature. Tomatoes seem to like variables
consistant.

When the plants are past their best, they can be moved to a less
visible spot in the garden.
You will need to stake plants.