Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default anerobic soil

Moments before spontaneously combusting humBill at
was heard opining:

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for
lilies and not soil with contents which will break down. But I
notice every year, even if I only use cat litter by the next, this
soil has gone stinky and anerobic.

Lately in my local group I have heard advice to just use gravel when
possible, to keep if from going anerobic.

What is the detriment of having anerobic soil in a pot?

==============================
Soils that break down release compounds into the water that feed algae I was
told. Heavy clay soils don't contain all that organic matter to break down.
Lilies in plain gravel did awful for me. They had small leaves and no
flowers. IOW they weren't worth having. Yet some people, like Derek, have
them do fine just growing in the water without even a pot. As for soil
going anaerobic - how can it not since there is no water flowing through it
bringing in a constant supply of oxygen.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952