Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
humBill

Default anerobic soil

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for lilies
and not soil with contents which will break down. But I notice every year,
even if I only use cat litter by the next, this soil has gone stinky and
anerobic.

Lately in my local group I have heard advice to just use gravel when
possible, to keep if from going anerobic.

What is the detriment of having anerobic soil in a pot?

Thanks

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

in the wild if you try to uproot a plant you will be struck by the stinkyness of the
dirt. it is how it is. Ingrid

"humBill" wrote:

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for lilies
and not soil with contents which will break down. But I notice every year,
even if I only use cat litter by the next, this soil has gone stinky and
anerobic.

Lately in my local group I have heard advice to just use gravel when
possible, to keep if from going anerobic.

What is the detriment of having anerobic soil in a pot?

Thanks

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-lo aka Carolyn Adamo Gulley
Maiden name Witkowski born 1944
Current "husband":
Randy R. born 1946
3245 North Lamar Road Mount Juliet TN 37122-7806

"humBill" wrote:

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for lilies
and not soil with contents which will break down. But I notice every year,
even if I only use cat litter by the next, this soil has gone stinky and
anerobic.

Lately in my local group I have heard advice to just use gravel when
possible, to keep if from going anerobic.

What is the detriment of having anerobic soil in a pot?

Thanks

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting humBill at
was heard opining:

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for
lilies and not soil with contents which will break down. But I
notice every year, even if I only use cat litter by the next, this
soil has gone stinky and anerobic.

Lately in my local group I have heard advice to just use gravel when
possible, to keep if from going anerobic.

What is the detriment of having anerobic soil in a pot?

==============================
Soils that break down release compounds into the water that feed algae I was
told. Heavy clay soils don't contain all that organic matter to break down.
Lilies in plain gravel did awful for me. They had small leaves and no
flowers. IOW they weren't worth having. Yet some people, like Derek, have
them do fine just growing in the water without even a pot. As for soil
going anaerobic - how can it not since there is no water flowing through it
bringing in a constant supply of oxygen.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for
lilies and not soil with contents which will break down. But I
notice every year, even if I only use cat litter by the next, this
soil has gone stinky and anerobic.

I have less problem with stinky soil in my lilies, iris, and other less
invasive plants as I use weed fabric lined open weave plastic baskets. Now
with cattails, where I have to use a holeless pot, OMG! PU!

The soil I use is sandy, which is less likely to compact when wet, keeps
more air pockets available perhaps, and/or allows more water movement
perhaps? ~ jan