Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default anerobic soil

Just curious here. I hear people saying just use clay like soil for
lilies and not soil with contents which will break down. But I
notice every year, even if I only use cat litter by the next, this
soil has gone stinky and anerobic.

I have less problem with stinky soil in my lilies, iris, and other less
invasive plants as I use weed fabric lined open weave plastic baskets. Now
with cattails, where I have to use a holeless pot, OMG! PU!

The soil I use is sandy, which is less likely to compact when wet, keeps
more air pockets available perhaps, and/or allows more water movement
perhaps? ~ jan