Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 PM
eldingo66 eldingo66 is offline
Registered User

Default hedge advice

We have a narrow (14') but long (100') terraced back garden. The neighbouring house is a rental and they don't do anything to the garden. There is a large dilapidated shed and aviary on our border which bushes are growing in and pushing over the fence (theirs apparently, but no record with the land registry). I might approach the owner about getting the fence sorted, but have no comeback if they say no, so I was considering putting a high hedge down the length of boundary on my side and just screening off the whole unsightly mess. I figure that if the shed/aviary do collapse the hedge would be more flexible than a fixed fence, and easier to repair.

I was wondering though, given the narrowness of my garden how much width would I have to give up for the hedge? and how much nutrients would it take from the soil given that I want to put a raised vegetable bed as close as possible to it?

Any ideas on varieties as well? - something quick growing.