Old 10-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Default hedge advice

We have a narrow (14') but long (100') terraced back garden. The neighbouring house is a rental and they don't do anything to the garden. There is a large dilapidated shed and aviary on our border which bushes are growing in and pushing over the fence (theirs apparently, but no record with the land registry). I might approach the owner about getting the fence sorted, but have no comeback if they say no, so I was considering putting a high hedge down the length of boundary on my side and just screening off the whole unsightly mess. I figure that if the shed/aviary do collapse the hedge would be more flexible than a fixed fence, and easier to repair.

I was wondering though, given the narrowness of my garden how much width would I have to give up for the hedge? and how much nutrients would it take from the soil given that I want to put a raised vegetable bed as close as possible to it?

Any ideas on varieties as well? - something quick growing.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldingo66
so I was considering putting a high hedge down the length of boundary on my side and just screening off the whole unsightly mess.

Any ideas on varieties as well? - something quick growing.
This is how I overcame a similar problem, i.e. I erected trellis and planted climbers.

Doing it this way this way does not take up much space and you can use any type of climber / rambler.

http://static.flickr.com/47/12648303...b04be8.jpg?v=0
Old 10-04-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Given how narrow your garedn is I woudl not haev a hedge - why not a fence
with trellis on the top and stuff growing up it? You could grow veg up part
of it (beans. peas) or grow evergreen clinbers if you want somethign there
all year. In general hedges do taek up nutrients, you woudl have to cutt hem
and it is not easy to get one less that 18'' thick if you also want it high
enough to screen next door. It woudl also end up dominating the garden some
what.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the advice, that is a superb idea.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered User

You could grow veg up part
of it (beans. peas) or grow evergreen clinbers if you want somethign there
all year.
--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)[/quote]

It looks like the trellis is a winner!! I also like the idea of having veges going up it as well as I am keen to grow some and this would be a very efficient use of the space available.
Thanks very much for the advice