Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default What would you plant?

"Clinton M James" wrote in message
Whilst not deciduous, have you thought of Hibiscus Tilaceous? it is a

native
and grows into a largish tree, and also can be bushy in foliage. It
definitely has an abundance of flowers too.

I am sure there are native deciduous trees, but I just don't know of any.
The trees would belong to regions such as the snow fields or states like
victoria or tasmania due to the deciduous trait being adapted to help

trees
survive in winter. So you may want to fish around for plants native to

those
areas and you may find a deciduous one, if they do exist which, as i said,

am sure they do.

Regards,
Clint

"Trish Stadelmaier" wrote in message
. ..

Help please...
We would like to plant some trees to create shade for a shed, no larger
than 5-6m.
However, we would like them to be in-keeping with the surrounding native
bush & we would
prefer to have something that is deciduous or at least semi-deciduous,
which I'm pretty
sure there is barely no such thing as far as natives go, in the height
required anyway.
The soil is quite sandy, north-west facing on a gentle slope. We are in

very high fire
danger area, so have to think of avoiding trees with flaky bark/high oil
content etc. I also don't want to introduce anything that could become a
weed problem.
Flowering/bird attracting is not a requirement, although most natives
probably are.
I'm thinking I may need to plant a couple of species & thin out or
cut-back before winter
to get the effect required, if this is possible?
I am totally lost on this one. I don't get much of a chance to go to the
Forestry, so
thought I'd start here.

TIA

--
Trish Stadelmaier

Another native deciduous tree is the Cape Lilac - Melia azardarch ssp
australis. Nice tree, rotten berries and a moth out there that hunts it
down. Otherwise bewdiful.... Timber can be used and berries contain the same
chemical that neem has which is an antifeedant. Berries are poisonous so not
good for kids or a curious pet I guess.

Richard