Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default shasta daisies

wrote:
hello,

we're considering putting some shasta daisies up in front of the house.
however, we're unsure how much sun they need. the area gets morning
sun up until about 1pm. is this enough? if not, can someone recommend
another prolific flowering plant that can thrive in this environment
(2ft+)? we're in zone 7.

thanks!

That should be enough sun. Mine only get afternoon sun and they do
very well and I am in zone-6.

My comments:
o They need room. Like 3-ft diameter for each plant
should be OK.
o They die back all the way to the ground in winter.
There is no winter interest.
o I don't like their leaf shape. Too weed-like for my
taste.

I prefer hydrangea better. The leaves in a hydrangea looks MUCH better
than those in a shasta daisy. Its dry branches provide some winter
interest. Hydrangea needs even more room than shasta daisy though --
something like 4-ft to 5-ft diameter of space. We can easily propagate
hydrangea by using cuttings if you like it so much that you want to
plant it all over your garden.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan