Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default shasta daisies

hello,

we're considering putting some shasta daisies up in front of the house.
however, we're unsure how much sun they need. the area gets morning
sun up until about 1pm. is this enough? if not, can someone recommend
another prolific flowering plant that can thrive in this environment
(2ft+)? we're in zone 7.

thanks!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
hello,

we're considering putting some shasta daisies up in front of the house.
however, we're unsure how much sun they need. the area gets morning
sun up until about 1pm. is this enough? if not, can someone recommend
another prolific flowering plant that can thrive in this environment
(2ft+)? we're in zone 7.

thanks!

Shastas will do fine in that kind of light. As far as others, there are too
many to mention. OK - I'll add one: Daylillies.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for the responses. has anyone ever tried growing them from
seeds? are they relatively fast growing? (e.g. can i expect them to
bloom this season if i were to plant the seeds now?)

Not hard to grow from seed, but I've never seen flowers until the 2nd
season. How many plants do you want to end up with?

Old 11-04-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

I would expect on the order of 15-20 of them. they'll be sandwich
between the house and some yews we just planted.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would expect on the order of 15-20 of them. they'll be sandwich
between the house and some yews we just planted.

Well, unless you can get a hot deal on that quantity of year-old plants from
a local nursery, seeds are the way to go. Even with plants, they'll be a
little light on the flowers during the first year. After that, you'll be
inundated.

Another thought: They're nice plants, and almost impossible to kill once
they're established. But, on a 1 to 10 scale of "interesting", I'd say
they're a 6. Every garden needs some plants which don't need a lot of
coddling, and that's one reason for having some shastas. But...15-20 might
be overkill. There are so many other things that'll grow under those same
conditions. Why not mix in some others?

Old 14-04-2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

"Lynn" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,
So I take it it I should not of planted a package of seeds into 3 little
pots hoping for a nice slightly rounded potted plant to plant outside
but instead of used just one seed per pot?
I figured I would get one flower from one seed and wanted something bushy

lynn

Lynn, didn't you read the instructions on the packet??? Unless you have
seeds which you KNOW have a very high germination rate, or are very large,
you plant two per pot. If both seeds sprout, you wait a few days and then
pinch off one of them.

LOL apparently not till now, I totally missed the seed spacing on the
instructions.
lynn