Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Dog poo in compost

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
La Puce wrote:
Phil L wrote:

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it
matter?

Shovelling what? The compost with the pooh or just the pooh?! I have
dogs and I have never considered putting their mess in my compost -
and the cats too. It's something I find impossible to do. Some on this
forum have burried the stuff. Some just throw anything from dead rats
to all their food stuff on the compost. There's been many discussions
about this before, perhaps you could peruse the archive by searching
compost/dog pooh or similar. You will find that there are those who do
and those who don't. I don't )

My dog is almost vegetarian (although I'm not) and she prefers beans to
bacon any day!

I can't really stop her crapping on the heap, and certainly most of what

she
dropped in Jan/Feb has now disppeared and become compost anyway, my idea

was
to lift out the fresh stuff and throw the rest in a trench for runner

beans,
mostly the compost is last years lawn and very little else.

I can't see the harm in it myself, providing it's not being handled, and
plants devour crap of all kinds (cow, horse, fox etc) I think dogs are

just
being victimised!

(As an aside, I found a dead rat last year and put it into the pot when I
was repotting a rose, the rose didn't complain!)

I suppose the main concern people have is using the dog poop compost for
veges or fruit and the fear that pathogens may find they way into the food
chain. Some territorial authorities ban the use of human waste for
instance.A good hot compost is said to kill any pathogens. I use alot of dog
poop compost as a mulch to keep down weeds. I have not yet tried it on
edible plants.

rob