Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Alas poor plum tree

"Ang" wrote in message

I planted a plum tree ( victoria) last year and it seemd to take and
looked quite healthy. Alas when we took the garage down which was
closeby it got knocked by a large sheet of asbestos and some of the
smaller branches got broken. To date there is no sign of any new
growth. Can anyone advise whether I should cut my losses and dig itup
or whether it may recover given time?

Thanks

--
Ang

Just cut off the tip of a branch. Just an inch to start with. If there's
any green inside then it's alive and will regrow. Look very closely.
If its brown and dead then that should be pretty unmistakable. Keep
doing that until you get to a part where there's any green. Some branches
may still be alive. If the roots were damaged when the tree was disturbed
then it might take some time to recover. You don't say how big it is
but if there's no joy this year it might be wise to dig it up and
inspect the roots.

michael adams