Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Ang Ang is offline
Registered User

Default Alas poor plum tree

I planted a plum tree ( victoria) last year and it seemd to take and looked quite healthy. Alas when we took the garage down which was closeby it got knocked by a large sheet of asbestos and some of the smaller branches got broken. To date there is no sign of any new growth. Can anyone advise whether I should cut my losses and dig itup or whether it may recover given time?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

--
Ang

Just cut off the tip of a branch. Just an inch to start with. If there's
any green inside then it's alive and will regrow. Look very closely.
If its brown and dead then that should be pretty unmistakable. Keep
doing that until you get to a part where there's any green. Some branches
may still be alive. If the roots were damaged when the tree was disturbed
then it might take some time to recover. You don't say how big it is
but if there's no joy this year it might be wise to dig it up and
inspect the roots.

michael adams

Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ang writes:

| I planted a plum tree ( victoria) last year and it seemd to take and
| looked quite healthy. Alas when we took the garage down which was
| closeby it got knocked by a large sheet of asbestos and some of the
| smaller branches got broken. To date there is no sign of any new
| growth. Can anyone advise whether I should cut my losses and dig itup
| or whether it may recover given time?

Leave it. My damsons have started sprouting only in the last week,
and new growth from old wood usually takes longer. If there is no
sign of life by midsummer, scrap it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

|In article ,
|Ang writes:

| I planted a plum tree ( victoria) last year and it seemd to take and
| looked quite healthy. Alas when we took the garage down which was
| closeby it got knocked by a large sheet of asbestos and some of the
| smaller branches got broken. To date there is no sign of any new
| growth. Can anyone advise whether I should cut my losses and dig itup
| or whether it may recover given time?

Leave it. My damsons have started sprouting only in the last week,
and new growth from old wood usually takes longer. If there is no
sign of life by midsummer, scrap it.

I'm with Nick (except I'd probably give it until autumn). I
accidentally did this to a Nashi pear once.
Or rather the wind picked up a fence panel and did it for me. Took
about 3 years to regrow but it is now perfect although missing a couple
of branches. So far only the pear tree is showing obvious signs of
growth.

Plum might be a bit more vulnerable to fungal infection after damage
but I'd leave it alone unless there are obvious dead bits once the sap
has risen.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Img-1199-Alas, not a flower either Stinkweed[_3_] Garden Photos 2 25-06-2014 03:19 AM
My Poor apple tree! Ang United Kingdom 0 18-05-2008 08:10 PM
Plum tree, poor growth? gasdoctor United Kingdom 2 01-06-2005 08:07 PM
[IBC] Washington DC meet - ALAS Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-05-2005 05:09 PM
Alas poor Elaeagnus? Sally Thompson United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 04:49 PM