Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Help - how to decoy newts?

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Four years ago some newts visited our summer ponds. They
multiplied and then left the ponds. The following winter was
long and hard. Next spring I watched out for the newts but
they didn't return! ;-( In that spring I remember our
neighbour beneath who has a flat piece of land built an own
big pond. And _he_ has newts - of course _my_ newts! ;-)

Okay, our piece of land rises sharply and newts are no good
at climbing. But how to decoy them? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Decoy them? You mean how to attract them to your pond? They like water
without a lot of movement or strong currents, or at least the ones here do.
They want plants to hide and lay their eggs, preferably both potted and
floating. I don't do anything special and have newts in both ponds. I find
them when I move the plants for repotting otherwise they're pretty shy.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.