Old 11-04-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Default Help - how to decoy newts?

Hi..

Four years ago some newts visited our summer ponds. They
multiplied and then left the ponds. The following winter was
long and hard. Next spring I watched out for the newts but
they didn't return! ;-( In that spring I remember our
neighbour beneath who has a flat piece of land built an own
big pond. And _he_ has newts - of course _my_ newts! ;-)

Okay, our piece of land rises sharply and newts are no good
at climbing. But how to decoy them? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
--
cu
Marco
Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Four years ago some newts visited our summer ponds. They
multiplied and then left the ponds. The following winter was
long and hard. Next spring I watched out for the newts but
they didn't return! ;-( In that spring I remember our
neighbour beneath who has a flat piece of land built an own
big pond. And _he_ has newts - of course _my_ newts! ;-)

Okay, our piece of land rises sharply and newts are no good
at climbing. But how to decoy them? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

========================
Decoy them? You mean how to attract them to your pond? They like water
without a lot of movement or strong currents, or at least the ones here do.
They want plants to hide and lay their eggs, preferably both potted and
floating. I don't do anything special and have newts in both ponds. I find
them when I move the plants for repotting otherwise they're pretty shy.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Default Help - how to attract newts to our ponds?

Hi..

Decoy them? You mean how to attract them to your pond?

Of course you're right! Didn't ask Odge in advance..

They like water without a lot of movement or strong
currents, or at least the ones here do. They want plants
to hide and lay their eggs, preferably both potted and
floating.

Yes.

I don't do anything special and have newts in
both ponds. I find them when I move the plants for
repotting otherwise they're pretty shy.

This is what happend 4 years ago.

But now they seem to prefer the neighbour's pond.
--
cu
Marco
Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Decoy them? You mean how to attract them to your pond?

Of course you're right! Didn't ask Odge in advance..

They like water without a lot of movement or strong
currents, or at least the ones here do. They want plants
to hide and lay their eggs, preferably both potted and
floating.

Yes.

I don't do anything special and have newts in
both ponds. I find them when I move the plants for
repotting otherwise they're pretty shy.

This is what happend 4 years ago.

But now they seem to prefer the neighbour's pond.

=================
There must be something there that you do not have in or around your pond.
Can you think of anything? Can there be something in your pond eating them?
Do you have water birds or snakes perhaps?
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Four years ago some newts visited our summer ponds. They
multiplied and then left the ponds. The following winter was
long and hard. Next spring I watched out for the newts but
they didn't return! ;-( In that spring I remember our
neighbour beneath who has a flat piece of land built an own
big pond. And _he_ has newts - of course _my_ newts! ;-)

I once lost all my frogs (at least I assumed so at the time) to my
neighbor's pond. With her permission, I caught a few an brought them to my
pond. The rest was history. Now days I have to catch the croaking males so
as not to offend my neighbor. ( ~ jan

Old 12-04-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboy©

~ janj wrote:

NO !

Help help my newts please Broadback United Kingdom 3 14-11-2005 02:45 PM
decoy fish k conover Ponds 1 14-07-2004 10:07 PM
decoy fish k conover Ponds 1 09-07-2004 06:02 AM
Decoy Heron roy docherty Ponds 2 22-11-2003 02:06 AM
where to purchase decoy? dunky Ponds 1 12-04-2003 03:56 PM