Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default What are these wildflowers (Central Ohio)

In message , Ron Hardin
writes
What are these, Central Ohio, today

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w01.jpg Weed unknown 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w02.jpg Daffodil - I know this one
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w03.jpg Weed unknown 3

Lamium purpureum, Red Dead-nettle.
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed unknown 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed unknown 6

Flower looks life VInca minor. Lesser Periwinkle, but I don't see any of
the right foliage.

1 and 4 look like crucifers, of the Cardamine/Arabis/Cochlearia
persuasion, but I don't recognise either of them, and quite possibly
Ohio has a different set of genera.

I have a Newcomb's Wildflower Guide but I haven't tried anything
this early before, generally starting with the mustards around the
end of the month.

Starting up a little catalog of Intelligent Bicyclist's Guide to
Obvious Central Ohio Weeds, as I am for 8 weeks between dogs.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley