Old 11-04-2006, 05:18 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron Hardin

Default What are these wildflowers (Central Ohio)

What are these, Central Ohio, today

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w01.jpg Weed unknown 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w02.jpg Daffodil - I know this one
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w03.jpg Weed unknown 3
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed unknown 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed unknown 6

I have a Newcomb's Wildflower Guide but I haven't tried anything
this early before, generally starting with the mustards around the
end of the month.

Starting up a little catalog of Intelligent Bicyclist's Guide to
Obvious Central Ohio Weeds, as I am for 8 weeks between dogs.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Ron Hardin
writes
What are these, Central Ohio, today

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w01.jpg Weed unknown 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w02.jpg Daffodil - I know this one
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w03.jpg Weed unknown 3

Lamium purpureum, Red Dead-nettle.
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed unknown 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed unknown 6

Flower looks life VInca minor. Lesser Periwinkle, but I don't see any of
the right foliage.

1 and 4 look like crucifers, of the Cardamine/Arabis/Cochlearia
persuasion, but I don't recognise either of them, and quite possibly
Ohio has a different set of genera.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:43 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
monique

Number 5 is Claytonia, likely Claytonia virginica. Spring beauty.

M. Reed, Texas.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:23 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron Hardin

monique wrote:

Number 5 is Claytonia, likely Claytonia virginica. Spring beauty.

M. Reed, Texas.

What are these, Central Ohio, today

Lamium purpureum, Red Dead-nettle.

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed unknown 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed unknown 6

OKAY! thanks to both. Adding 4 from an afternoon bike trip
eastward instead of westward, there's some foliage on the 4-petal
if it's the same one as w01.jpg, but not enough to nail it in Newcomb.
morning
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w01.jpg Weed unknown 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w02.jpg Weed Daffodil
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w03.jpg Weed Purple Dead-Nettle 3
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed Spring Beauty 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed unknown 6

afternoon
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w07.jpg Weed unknown 7 (4-petals
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w08.jpg Weed unknown 8 (7-petals
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w09.jpg Weed unknown 9 (strange indian pipe stem ``dandelion''
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w10.jpg Weed unknown 10 (4-petals

--
Ron Hardin

Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
John Kuhnau

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message

snip

[...]

7. Cutleaf Toothwort, Cardamine concatenata
8. Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis
9. Coltsfoot, Tussilago farfara
10. ? probably some type of cress, perhaps Spring Cress?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ron Hardin

John Kuhnau wrote:
7. Cutleaf Toothwort, Cardamine concatenata
8. Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis
9. Coltsfoot, Tussilago farfara
10. ? probably some type of cress, perhaps Spring Cress?

OKAY! adding one that I'm calling Purple Cress today, I have
11th
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w01.jpg Weed unknown 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w02.jpg Weed Daffodil 2
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w03.jpg Weed Purple Dead-Nettle 3
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w04.jpg Weed unknown 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w05.jpg Weed Spring Beauty 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w06.jpg Weed Myrtle 6
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w07.jpg Weed Cutleaf Toothwort 7
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w08.jpg Weed Bloodroot 8
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w09.jpg Weed Coltsfoot 9
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w10.jpg Weed Spring Cress 10
12th
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w11.jpg Weed Purple Cress 11

when it gets up around the various yellow mustards at the end
of the month, I can start using my notes in Newcomb from previous
years.

Though various daisy-like fleabanes have never matched anything in
the book, which will come up later.

--
Ron Hardin