Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Seen a plant, dont know what it is, any ideas??

"Zarch"
La Puce Wrote:
Zarch wrote:
On a road i drive up most days there is a front garden with a dry
stone
wall. Growing over the wall is a mass of green foliage with
wonderful
purple flowers. (trailing about 50cm+ down)
I have only seen these from a distance, but the foliage looks like
small green leaves and so does the flower.
It also appears to be growing thru the cracks in the wall.
I would love to get some of this in my garden wall, but unsure what
it
is.
Any ideas anyone?

Like this?! (This one's not mine, mine's controlled in a raised stone
bed with a perpetual sweet pea).

http://cjoint.com/?egpf6PLh4y

And that's aubretia like others suggested )

Brilliant everyone, thats what it is, Aubretia.

Think a trip to the garden centre over the weekend will be in store to
get some.

Does it come in small plugs/plants. How many plants are required to
make a display such as the one in the picture? Or does it just grow
over time?

It's a rockery plant. Usually smallish plants.
It grows pretty fast so a few should expand to make a 'carpet' fairly quickly.

Is it a relativley cheap plant to buy?

Think so :~))

Is now a good time of the year to buy/plant?

Yep

Many thanks for your help everyone.
Cheers, Zarch

If you like aubrietia, you might like this too :~)
http://tinyurl.com/k5ncx

Jenny