Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default petrol mowers

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
i have had it with cables!
what petrol mowers do you all use,are the own brand ones from focus/B&Q
any
good or should i splash the cash.
my lawns front & back are just average size.
thanks.

I'd really recommend you to not buy from a Shed; go to a local
machinery supplier with a service workshop. You'll get far better
advice about what machine is suitable for you (lawn size is NOT the only
consideration) and he will almost certainly offer to fuel up a machine
and let you try starting and manoevring it. IME. dealers and sheds carry
a similar range of price options. But servicing dealers who are starting
up a longterm customer relationship, tend not to sell badly
designed/fragile machines.

Other considerations to discuss with him are; your physical height
and strength, whether you want the grass collected or not, and whether
you need a powered machine or one that just cuts. A machine you have to
push can be used at the speed that suits you; a powered one decides your
walking speed for you and is less easy around corners and dead-ends.

Quite, and get yourself some steel toecap boots to use with the mower.
They don't take prisoners.
When you see the Grass Teem at Wisley with the leather off their steel
toecaps you realise how many times they could have lost their toes.
I like Hayter myself, spares readily available.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden