Old 11-04-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aj

Default petrol mowers

i have had it with cables!
what petrol mowers do you all use,are the own brand ones from focus/B&Q any
good or should i splash the cash.
my lawns front & back are just average size.
thanks.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Si

mounfield/honda/hayter

so i've been told, i think cylinders are meant to be better finish than
rotaries

look he

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/...mow/index.html

Si

Old 11-04-2006, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "aj" contains these words:

i have had it with cables!
what petrol mowers do you all use,are the own brand ones from focus/B&Q any
good or should i splash the cash.
my lawns front & back are just average size.
thanks.

I'd really recommend you to not buy from a Shed; go to a local
machinery supplier with a service workshop. You'll get far better
advice about what machine is suitable for you (lawn size is NOT the only
consideration) and he will almost certainly offer to fuel up a machine
and let you try starting and manoevring it. IME. dealers and sheds carry
a similar range of price options. But servicing dealers who are starting
up a longterm customer relationship, tend not to sell badly
designed/fragile machines.

Other considerations to discuss with him are; your physical height
and strength, whether you want the grass collected or not, and whether
you need a powered machine or one that just cuts. A machine you have to
push can be used at the speed that suits you; a powered one decides your
walking speed for you and is less easy around corners and dead-ends.

Janet.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Cap

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:22:39 +0100, "aj" wrote:

i have had it with cables!
what petrol mowers do you all use,are the own brand ones from focus/B&Q any
good or should i splash the cash.
my lawns front & back are just average size.
thanks.

I will add that I've become increasingly thoughtful about using my
2-stroke flymo, although I just love it's convenience. You now read
that they emit 100 x the pollution of a modern saloon car and there
you are a few feet away, huffing and puffing ! Maybe that's just me ?

Are four-strokes any improvement or are electics the only answer to
this particular concern or perhaps it's totally unfounded ?

Andy

Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
[...]

Quite, and get yourself some steel toecap boots to use with the mower.
They don't take prisoners.
When you see the Grass Teem at Wisley with the leather off their steel
toecaps you realise how many times they could have lost their toes.
I like Hayter myself, spares readily available.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-04-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Quite, and get yourself some steel toecap boots to use with the mower.
They don't take prisoners.

We were at the Blue Oceanic Hotel at Negambo in Sri Lanka recently, and I
kid you not the chap cutting the lawns there was wearing flip flops!! A
photo will be going up on my photosite just as soon as I can do it. "Health
and Safety"? Wots zat?

Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Mike" wrote
Quite, and get yourself some steel toecap boots to use with the mower.
They don't take prisoners.

We were at the Blue Oceanic Hotel at Negambo in Sri Lanka recently, and I
kid you not the chap cutting the lawns there was wearing flip flops!! A
photo will be going up on my photosite just as soon as I can do it.
"Health
and Safety"? Wots zat?

I remember being in that country many years ago and watching the lights in
the garden arcing up and down the wires strung between the trees as they had
simply used indoor fittings and electric cable. Made a point of going to
look when it finally stopped raining and the sun eventually came out 72
hours later.
India is the same even now.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

We were at the Blue Oceanic Hotel at Negambo in Sri Lanka recently, and

kid you not the chap cutting the lawns there was wearing flip flops!! A
photo will be going up on my photosite just as soon as I can do it.
"Health
and Safety"? Wots zat?

I remember being in that country many years ago and watching the lights in
the garden arcing up and down the wires strung between the trees as they

had
simply used indoor fittings and electric cable. Made a point of going to
look when it finally stopped raining and the sun eventually came out 72
hours later.
India is the same even now.

--
Regards
Bob

Bangkok amazed me with the electrics and telephone cables and they way they
are 'strung up' alongside the road!!!

Mike!!!!