Old 11-04-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Seen a plant, dont know what it is, any ideas??

Zarch wrote:
snip
Brilliant everyone, thats what it is, Aubretia.

Think a trip to the garden centre over the weekend will be in store to
get some.

Does it come in small plugs/plants. How many plants are required to
make a display such as the one in the picture? Or does it just grow
over time?

It grows over time and spreads nicely, down and across a wall. How you
buy it will depend on your gc but I would imagine they'll offer it in
one or two sizes, if not more. For example, we sell it in 7cm pots and
in 2 litre ones.

Is it a relativley cheap plant to buy?

That depends on your gc! Again, as an example and because we don't do
mail order, I can tell you that we sell it for 75p for the 7cm pots and
£3.50 for the 2 litre pots.

Is now a good time of the year to buy/plant?

Yes. But speaking generally, anything you buy in a container can be
planted at any time of year. However, that said, there's little point
in planting anyting when the soil is cold and wet during winter,
because the plant won't get off to any kind of start. And with small
plants there's the danger of rotting the roots in wet soil.
If you like pretty wall plants, here's another you might like. It's
one of my personal favourites, so I'm biased! Enkianthus karvinskianus
http://tinyurl.com/em7hx
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk