Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Axeman, ozzy, thanks!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just talked to a bud in Palos Park and he said that the plants die
back
within a month of flowering so your lawn doesn't look like crap for
months. Of course he less than a dozen of the plants on his
property.
He said someone down the street has an acre full of them.

The question is do you want to plant something that may be so invasive
it may spread throughout your neighbors property?

I already have thistles because I let one grow because I wanted to
photograph it :-). I live on a corner, and most of the neighbors have
lawn care. I would like some on my terrace because it is eroding but I
really should have it terraced first, and I would rather not have rr
ties but nice limestone and . . . a quarter block of that is $$$.

Since I got the answer I looked it up, and you have to plant the bulbs 2
to 3 in deep and one place was out of stock and the other place had a
fancier variety. I prefer this one. Maybe I could dig some of those
bulbs in the fall if I ask the property owners.

I will probably not plant any, but I might. Then I could plant a
wildflower mixture with it which might take over when those died back.
Today I just wanted to know what it was because it looked so pretty with
that hill all in bloom. It's on kind of an ugly woodsy street, but the
photos look like I could have tramped deep in the woods. Closest thing
we have to the Texas bluebonnet (no comparison). We have chicory along
the roads during the summer, somebody id'ed that for me here.

The last plant I had id'ed here I found growing wild in a field and they
got into a flame war over it, not that but I think things had been
heating up before I came on the scene but is was lycoris squagimera or
resurrection lily or painted lady. Sure was beautiful.