Old 11-04-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Spring flower id please, think they are wild

I only hit this group when I need something, but would greatly
appreciate knowing what this is as I took a bunch of photos of them this
morning growing on a hillside right in town. They must spread fast and
easily as I noticed there were a ton of them in the yard across the
street. This is the midwest we are talking about.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Blue1.jpg

Almost forgot the link.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
axeman

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
news
I only hit this group when I need something, but would greatly appreciate
knowing what this is as I took a bunch of photos of them this morning
growing on a hillside right in town. They must spread fast and easily as I
noticed there were a ton of them in the yard across the street. This is
the midwest we are talking about.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Blue1.jpg

Almost forgot the link.

They look like scilla.

Jacqui

Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

axeman wrote:

They look like scilla.

Jacqui

-------------
I agree. Damn things are spreading like wild fire in part of Palos
Park (IL).

Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Axeman, ozzy, thanks!

wrote in message
ups.com...

axeman wrote:

They look like scilla.

Jacqui

-------------
I agree. Damn things are spreading like wild fire in part of Palos
Park (IL).

Scilla. I'll look that up. They're quite attractive to me. Thanks
again!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Just talked to a bud in Palos Park and he said that the plants die back
within a month of flowering so your lawn doesn't look like crap for
months. Of course he less than a dozen of the plants on his property.
He said someone down the street has an acre full of them.

The question is do you want to plant something that may be so invasive
it may spread throughout your neighbors property?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just talked to a bud in Palos Park and he said that the plants die
back
within a month of flowering so your lawn doesn't look like crap for
months. Of course he less than a dozen of the plants on his
property.
He said someone down the street has an acre full of them.

The question is do you want to plant something that may be so invasive
it may spread throughout your neighbors property?

I already have thistles because I let one grow because I wanted to
photograph it :-). I live on a corner, and most of the neighbors have
lawn care. I would like some on my terrace because it is eroding but I
really should have it terraced first, and I would rather not have rr
ties but nice limestone and . . . a quarter block of that is $$$.

Since I got the answer I looked it up, and you have to plant the bulbs 2
to 3 in deep and one place was out of stock and the other place had a
fancier variety. I prefer this one. Maybe I could dig some of those
bulbs in the fall if I ask the property owners.

I will probably not plant any, but I might. Then I could plant a
wildflower mixture with it which might take over when those died back.
Today I just wanted to know what it was because it looked so pretty with
that hill all in bloom. It's on kind of an ugly woodsy street, but the
photos look like I could have tramped deep in the woods. Closest thing
we have to the Texas bluebonnet (no comparison). We have chicory along
the roads during the summer, somebody id'ed that for me here.

The last plant I had id'ed here I found growing wild in a field and they
got into a flame war over it, not that but I think things had been
heating up before I came on the scene but is was lycoris squagimera or
resurrection lily or painted lady. Sure was beautiful.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
axeman

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When I have planted scilla I have done it in the fall. If you decide you
want to put some bulbs in, wait for your fall bulb catalogues and order some
then.

Jacqui

Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Axeman,ozzy,All

In article et,
"I Love Lucy" wrote:

"axeman" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Will do. I ordered 50 daffodil bulbs late last fall and didn't get down
to the farm where I wanted them to plant them. They are still in my
fridge. I don't know if they will be any good by fall or not. I have
two bulb planters somehow, but if the ground isn't soft, it is almost
too hard for me. Maybe I can have the hardware store sharpen them a
bit. I fear they are going to be ruined if I can't find help. I'll
worry about it in the fall. Scilla bulbs are smaller, so a heavy old
knife might do for that; they look like they can push up through almost
anything which is good. I can't dig and prepare beds properly like I
used to be able to do.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Jacqui

Just wondering if the fridge is is the same one for your food stuffs?
The chance that some guest could cook a few daffodils by mistake
exists.

VERY toxic!

I'd hill them until you are ready to plant.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Toxic, I wondered about that

"William Wagner" wrote in message
-

Just wondering if the fridge is is the same one for your food stuffs?
The chance that some guest could cook a few daffodils by mistake
exists.

I never have guests, especially ones that cook.

VERY toxic!

I kind of thought they might be.

I'd hill them until you are ready to plant.

Too bad I can't plant them now as the ground is very soft. Hill them.
I guess that means dump them in a shallowish hole with good drainage and
cover them with dirt. I will try to do that if they still seem viable,
but not because I'm worried about anybody eating them. They are taking
up too much room in the fridge.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 12-04-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"morninglori" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, if you put them in the bin with oranges, the bulbs won't
live
once planted. There is something about the acidity of the oranges that
messes up bulbs.

No they are in like onion bags inside the cardboard box they were mailed
in on the shelf, and I seldom buy oranges, just a lemon when I cook
fish.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article t,
"I Love Lucy" wrote:

I guess that means dump them in a shallowish hole with good drainage and
cover them with dirt. I will try to do that if they still seem viable,

Yup

I do this when ever I get too much to do AKA plant.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade