Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Help - how to attract newts to our ponds?

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Decoy them? You mean how to attract them to your pond?

Of course you're right! Didn't ask Odge in advance..

They like water without a lot of movement or strong
currents, or at least the ones here do. They want plants
to hide and lay their eggs, preferably both potted and
floating.

Yes.

I don't do anything special and have newts in
both ponds. I find them when I move the plants for
repotting otherwise they're pretty shy.

This is what happend 4 years ago.

But now they seem to prefer the neighbour's pond.

There must be something there that you do not have in or around your pond.
Can you think of anything? Can there be something in your pond eating them?
Do you have water birds or snakes perhaps?
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.