Old 14-03-2003, 11:08 AM
will

Default Growing potatoes in containers: FAQ clarification needed

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , will
writes

On the HDRA page regarding potatoes
(http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm), there's a table summarising
the different methods of growing potatoes. In the Containers section
it says that the disadvantages include: "Not suitable for earlies,
whole container harvested at once, Large quantities of soil/compost
required, Lots of watering needed..."

Is this correct?

Those are disadvantages of growing potatoes on containers as compared to
growing them outside in soil. The advantages are also pointed out. It
does not mean that it cannot be done, but that the method needs correct
management. You can find a fuller description of container growing
methods in the FAQ mention at Section E. of the potato growing page.

Alan, I understand that, but one of the disadvantages listed is "Not
suitable for earlies", while Ron Lowe suggests that earlies are well
suited to pots. That was what I was puzzled about.

Anyway, I'm going to plant some earlies in pots and see what happens,
as suggested.

Thanks all, Will