Old 14-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default 'Covered' Walkway

In article ,
"N. van Burgsteden" writes:
| You could make the posts more sturdy by adding some 'no mix' cement to it.
| On the other hand, it would give quite a mess if you'd want to remove them.
| I only use it for heavy duty posts, like ones i hang a door on in my fence.

I advise against it, as you need it at least 30 cms across and 20 deep
to be of much use, and that gets in the way of planting climbers.

| To keep the posts from rotting, I'd advise you to paint the bottom part of
| the posts with tar-like stuff. Beware of pollution that might get into the
| soil, though.

That's why I said tanalised. I can tell you that soaking posts in
creosote or painting them with tar will not give them a life of
more than a few years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679