Old 12-04-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Update on fish problems

"humBill" wrote in message
et...
So at long last - does this sound like something I should be concerned
about - or just watch and see. I am very sorry to be sooooooo long, but I
just never know what to include and omit. The water parameters are
constant and perfect and yes Carol I did do 1 25% water change before I
added the salt

================
I'll tell you what I wound do - others may agree or disagree. With these
ongoing things happening I would remove all the fish and CLEAN this pond out
completely. Remove all the muck and plants and refill. Treat all the
plants with something like Potassium Permanganate at double the recommended
dose for several hours. First let the pots drain so they soak up the PP
when you dunk them. Check the fish individually and make sure they're not
harboring lice or some other parasite. Treat wounds. I clean them with
Peroxide on a cotton-ball then apply Methiolate or something similar. Some
people recommend you put an antibiotic cream on the injury. Treat them and
return them all to the pond. You may want to treat for parasites with
something like Quick-Cure or another broad range parasite killer. If herons
are a problem then NET your pond. They're not the only thing that can take
bites from your fish. I have a BF koi that lost a good part of her tail to
a huge bullfrog several years ago.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.