Old 13-04-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Update on fish problems

"humBill" wrote in message
t...
Thanks Carol
I have printed out your suggestion as it sounds like a good one for a
broad brush approach. I am hesitant to go that extreme right now as I do
have a heavy fishload.

And your heavy fish load could be adding to the problems. It's breaking my
heart but this weekend, weather permitting, we're draining and removing a
lot of koi in the 2000g pond. Some I've had for 7 years now but a heavy fish
load is not healthy for the fish. Water quality starts to suffer, then the
fish develop problems. So some have to go. You may consider thinning your
fish as well. Keep your favorites and sell or give away the rest. It's
much better for the fish.

I do have two upflow filters but especially just coming
into feeding season I would be very concerned about how much my nitrifying
balance relies on the many pots and surfaces, which would be wiped out
with such a treatment.

A lot will be wiped out, that's another reason why you need to cull your
fish every year or so as they grow and multiply. There are only so many
surfaces to house the needed bacteria. After refilling the pond watch your
ammonia and nitrites and FEED LIGHTLY for a week or two!!! All the bacteria
will not be killed and will rapidly multiply.

I also understood, perhaps incorrectly that even the
bypassed, full of water filters will begin to die after 4 hours, which an
adequate treatment of PP would require.

When there a problem in a pond which may be parasites why byass the filter?
There could be parasites or their "eggs" in the filter. What's the use of
cleaning and treating the pond of the parasites are righ back when you turn
the pumps back on?

I would have reservations as well
about my suspended algae. With my hot Texas full sun exposure, it took
me most of my first year (now on my third) to get the pond balanced and
consistently relatively clear. All that being said as mentioned I will
keep your suggestion to perhaps work up to, as needed basis.

In the meantime clean the bottom as well as you can and find out if you have
a parasite problem for sure. Your friend didn't sound too sure if your fish
were infested or not.

Carol I must say you are an enigma. I hold your thoughts and helpfulness
in esteem and appreciation. You have given me many helpful suggestions
and seem to be ever helpful and present. I do have a small kiddie pond
which is very similar to a suggestion you made 2 summers ago, as Windsong.
Which is why I am perpetually confused as to why you seem to be in the
midst of many of these 'OT'ers' who have nearly ruined this once terrific
pond resource.

I mean no disrespect and a 'explanation' is not expected. It's just
curious.

As a poster here you are owed an explanation. The problem is a person I
know on another NG for 10 years. When he succeeded in hounding several
other women he didn't like off Usenet, puffed up with power and inflated
ego, he decided I was the next to go. But this is an open forum and no one
decides who gets to post and who doesn't. However he found I wasn't as easy
to terrorize off the NGs as the other women were, and so he lost face. I'm
not leaving as they did so he must prove himself by forcing me to leave one
way or the other, at any cost to himself or others. He said he would
destroy this NG and he's been trying for months. Since Google allows all
forms of abuse of Usenet there is little anyone can do to remove this
cross-posting, nym-stealing net-stalker. As for his threatening my life,
the police in both states have all the information in case Mr. Santana
decides to act on his murderous fantasies of suffocating me or cutting my
throat "in the middle of the night" as he's threatened.......

Thanks again for all your suggestions
Bill Brister

Good luck with your fish Bill. Keep us updated on what happens with them.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.