Old 14-03-2003, 12:44 PM
JStubbs358

Default Its that time-Childrens Garden

Its that time of year-Putting in my neighborhood childrens garden. And once
again I'm stumped. Its in san ANtonio zone 8b it gets 100+ degrees in summer.
This garden gets full West sun and is between the sidewalk and a wood fence.
The neighborhood children do it. Its about 4 ft wide and 50-60 ft long

Right now its pristine -no weeds and freshly turnes soil-I forget how pretty a
bed waiting to be planted is. Since its done by the kids ages 3-10 or 11) with
my supervision it has crooked rows and usually a little weedy but I love it.

So what do we put in this year. We've done sunflowers (several types) no one
would pick them. Cherry tomatoes I couldn't give away. My husband always eats
the radishes but what else? I love lots of flowers but the petunias always are
puny.
It could get cold again but its been close to 80 all this week. Cosmos didn't
work.
Zinnias do ok as do vincas. (I had to laugh at Madgardner and her vinca saga.
Is that the same vinca we nuture all summer just to plant again next year?

DO I repeat sunflowers or are there some better suggestions. ANd if so what
else.They like variety but space 4x50 or 60 is limited.
Judy zone8b